How do I know if the roof needs cleaning?
- It is easy to see on most homes while the growth is in process; there are dark black streaks, particularly on the north facing roof, though once the algae has fully taken over it is sometimes hard to tell. (It’s never too late to remove.) The best place to look to find out if your roof is dirty is below metal roof jacks flashing and sky lights. There you should find lighter colored streaks or patches…that is the original color and that is what your roof will look like after we have completed our service!
What are the dangers of pressure washing?
- Pressure washing will dislodge the granules from the surface of the shingles and can scar the shingles causing more problems then you started with. Shingle manufacturers make it very clear that no pressure should be used to clean roofs. Although leaving the roof apparently clean looking, pressure washing alone does not kill the algae and the problem quickly returns. Tile roofs are also susceptible to damage from pressure, particularly the glaze finish and color pigment.
When should my roof be cleaned?
- As soon as you notice any signs of the shading or staining. The gloeocapsa magma bacteria is relatively easy to remove. Moss and lichen require much more time and effort. Even after the treatment, a small amount of dead moss will remain, left to decompose over time. The best time to treat a dirty roof is before signs of moss or lichen.
Can I clean my own roof with store bought products?
- We recommend against that. Often, the small print on these products reveals:
- The product uses a strong chemical degreaser that breaks down petroleum based products…like roof shingles.
- The product takes multiple applications over many months even over a year, (many of our customers complain that the products still never worked…)
- After application of the product (which shows no visible effect) you are directed to “simply rinse with… a pressure washer…”? Exactly what the manufacturer directs you not to do.
- There are many more reasons we feel you should avoid these roof cleaning products. Suffice it to say, we feel their sole interest in your roof is a monetary one.
Can roof cleaning save me money?
- First, the algae and fungus that grows can cause premature roof granule loss, and shorten roof shingle life. So you save money because your roof lasts longer.
- Second, when the algae turns your roof black, it becomes less reflective, and it retains heat; If you use an air conditioner it has to work harder to overcome the increased heat load, costing money in electric bills.
- Third, the aesthetics of cleaning your roof when it comes to selling your home can not only save you money but can make you money too.
What prep work do I need to do prior to have my roof cleaned?
- Put all lawn equipment, furniture and/or toys inside.
- Keep all animals inside or out away from the home.
- Put any special plants out away from house (if possible.)
- Park vehicles on street or in garage.
- Pretty much just clear everything out away from around the house. We will be rinsing areas around the building during the treatment.
Does Coast Roof Cleaning have references?
- Please contact us and we would be happy to provide you with a list of satisfied customers.